The opera can be used as a companion to Puccini's Suor Angelica
, with complementary cast, orchestra, and duration.
- Sister Isabella (a young and beautiful nun) -- soprano
- Abbess Usimbalda (Mother Superior) -- mezzo-soprano
- Sister Ficcanaso (a prying and meddlesome nun) -- soprano
- Sister Sgridaretta (an old and punctilious nun) -- mezzo-soprano
- Three nuns (chorus with solos) -- SSA
- Isabella's lover (disguised) -- mute
A group of nuns in a medieval Italian convent. The postulant, Isabella, has a hard time reconciling the earthy needs of her nature with the vows of her calling. This evokes a hilarious scene of reportage an accounting of her bedroom activities as seen by the sisters through a keyhole, until it is revealed that the Abbess has similar problems.
View Vocal Score