Publisher: Chester Music
Bell remains true to his modernistic leanings in music that dovetails beautifully with the story’s ghostly format as it creates tension and an evocative aura in an unbroken flow. Yet there is much more to the music than simply atmospheric effect, not least recognisable motifs that recur to create unity. And part of the work’s allure comes from perceiving the gentle shift in musical mood to reflect Scrooge’s new-found humanity without turning saccharine.
***** Financial Times
(A Christmas Carol)
A soul-devouring juggernaut, a decomposing, dirty battlefield. Bell shows he can create gentle, lyrical moments, tumultuous structures that build in atmosphere and action scenes which stimulate."
Der Standard (A Harlot's Progress)
- 2016 third opera, 'In Parenthesis'' commissioned but Welsh National Opera
- 2015 second opera, 'A Christmas Carol' finalist in World Premiere category of the International Opera Awards
- 2014 Wigmore Hall commission and BBC broadcast of Shakespeare-theme song cycle for counter tenor 'These Motley Fools'
- 2013 premiere of first opera 'A Harlot's Progress' at Theater an der Wien, Vienna
- 2013 performance at Carnegie Hall of song cycle 'The Undying Splendour'
- 2010 recording of orchestral song cycle 'The Hidden Place' with Diana Damrau and the RSO Wien
- 2009 performance at Munich opera Festival of song cycle 'Day Turned into Night'
- 2008 performance at Wigmore Hall of song cycle 'Daughters of Britannia'